The SMUSD uses various communications tools to alert and provide timely information. Below is a list of the communications tools SMUSD uses and what you can do to receive timely alerts and communications.
SMUSD Mobile App (Blackboard Mass Notification System)
The District and/or School(s) will first communicate safety and security related alerts to parents and students via SMUSD Mobile App notifications, SMS Text Messages (from short code # 60680; add this number to your phone contacts), Email, and Phone using the Blackboard Mass Notification System. Parent and student phone numbers, email addresses, and SMS Text numbers are synced with the District's PowerSchool student information system nightly. SMUSD understands parent/student contact information may change and it is the responsibility of parents/students to review and update contact information for accuracy.
PARENTS should review your contact information to ensure text message and phone numbers are correct:
- Need your Blackboard Parent Login ID and Password?
- Parent Blackboard Login IDs have the following convention. Parent Login IDs start with either an "F" (for Father) or "M" (for Mother) followed by your student's 5-digit student number. For example, if you are the Mother of Student #12345, your Blackboard Login ID would be M12345.
- Parents who do not know their password can request for a password reset by visiting https://smu.parentlink.net/main/login/forgot-password. Provide your Parent Login ID and a new password will be emailed.
- Open the SMUSD Mobile App, click the "Login" icon.
- PARENTS should enter your Login ID and password in the white text box fields under SMUSD. First-time users who log in will be presented with notification options.
- Click on the icon that includes your name.
- Review your number(s) under TEXT/SMS NUMBERS. To add another number, click "Edit" and "+ Add New", enter your number, click "Done."
- Review "EMAIL ADDRESSES." To add another email address, click "Edit" and "+ Add New," click "Done."
- Review the phone number(s) under "PHONE NUMBERS." To add another number, click "Edit" and "+ Add New", enter your number, click "Done."
STUDENTS should review your contact information to ensure text message and phone numbers are correct:
- Students use your School issued email address email@example.com to log in. Students who do not know their student email address or need to reset their password should contact the School Office or contact the School Site Technical Support Resource.
- Visit http://smu.parentlink.net/
- Click the 'Or sign in using "Google" button.'
- Provide your @student.smusd.us email address and password.
- Click "Account" at the top.
- Under the "Account Info" tab, review your Delivery addresses. To add another, click "Add," select the type (Phone Number, Text/SMS Number, Email Address, Mailing Address), fill in your contact information, click "Save." Click "Close" to close the Account window.
STAFF & ALL OTHERS should sign up to receive SMUSD Emergency Alerts:
- Sign up at https://smu.parentlink.net/main/login/new-account-sign-up
- Provide your email address and phone numbers - For SMS Text messaging, be sure to check the "I want to receive text messages at this number."
- Check the "SMUSD Emergency Alerts" box.
- Click "Sign Up."
- Look for a Blackboard verification email and click the link within to verify.
District and School Websites
The District and/or affected Schools may update the website home page with an alert pop-up that provides emergency-related information. While time-sensitive emergency communications will be sent using Blackboard, the website may provide more detailed information.
District and School Main Phone Numbers
The District/School may update the main phone number greeting to provide emergency-related information. At the end of the phone greeting, should the caller require more information, the caller can request to join a call queue and attempt to reach a live person. Please keep in mind that the individuals assigned to the call queue may not have all the information and will likely rely on the same information disseminated through the Blackboard system.
- District Main Phone (626) 299-7000
- San Marino High School Main Phone (626) 299-7020
- Huntington Middle School Main Phone (626) 299-7060
- Carver Elementary School Main Phone (626) 299-7080
- Valentine Elementary School Main Phone (626) 299-7090
Constant Contact E-Newsletters
The District and/or affected School locations may provide emergency-related information and/or press releases. Constant Contact is NOT the District or School's primary emergency communication tool. Parents and students are strongly advised to check their text messages, phone, and email that come through the Blackboard Mass Notification System.
The District and/or affected School locations may also provide safety and security related via social media.
All parents, students, and community members are encouraged to follow SMUSD's social media channels: