The SMUSD uses various communications tools to alert and provide timely information in the event of an emergency. Below is a list of the emergency communications tools SMUSD uses and what you can do to receive timely alerts and communications.
SMUSD Mobile App (Blackboard Mass Notification System)
In the event of an emergency, the District and/or School(s) will first communicate to parents and students via SMUSD Mobile App notifications, SMS Text Messages (From 60680), Email, and Phone using the Blackboard Mass Notification System. Parent and student phone numbers, email addresses, and SMS Text numbers are synced with the District's PowerSchool student information system nightly. SMUSD understands parent/student contact information may change and it is the responsibility of parents/students to review and update for accurate contact information.
PARENTS should review your contact information to ensure text message and phone numbers are correct:
- Need your parent login ID and password?
- Parent login IDs for Blackboard have the following convention. Parent Login IDs start with either an "F" (for Father) or "M" (for Mother) followed by your student's 5-digit student number. For example, if you are the Mother of Student #12345, your Blackboard Login ID would be M12345.
- Parents who do not know their password can request for a reset by visiting https://smu.parentlink.net/main/login/forgot-password. Provide your Parent Login ID and a new password will be emailed.
- Open the SMUSD Mobile App, click the "Login" icon.
- PARENTS should enter your Login ID and password in the white text box fields under SMUSD. First-time logins will be presented with notification options.
- Click on the icon with your name.
- Review your number(s) under TEXT/SMS NUMBERS. To add another number, click "Edit" and "+ Add New", enter your number, click "Done."
- Review "EMAIL ADDRESSES." To add another email address, click "Edit" and "+ Add New," click "Done."
- Review the phone number(s) under "PHONE NUMBERS." To add another number, click "Edit" and "+ Add New", enter your number, click "Done."
STUDENTS should review your contact information to ensure text message and phone numbers are correct:
- Students use your email@example.com to log in. Students who need to know their student email address or need to reset their password need to contact the School Office or contact the School Site Technical Support Resource.
- Visit http://smu.parentlink.net/
- Click the 'Or sign in using "Google" button.'
- Provide your @student.smusd.us email address and password.
- Click "Account" at the top.
- Under the "Account Info" tab, review your Delivery addresses. To add another, click "Add," select the type (Phone Number, Text/SMS Number, Email Address, Mailing Address), fill-in your contact information, click "Save." Click "Close" to close the Account window.
STAFF & ALL OTHERS should sign up to receive SMUSD Emergency Alerts:
- Sign up at https://smu.parentlink.net/main/login/new-account-sign-up
- Provide your email address and phone numbers - For SMS Text messaging, be sure to check the "I want to receive text messages at this number."
- Check the "SMUSD Emergency Alerts" box.
- Click "Sign Up."
- Look for a Blackboard verification email and click the link within to verify.
District and School Websites
In the event of an emergency, the District and/or affected Schools will update the website home page with an alert pop-up with emergency-related information. While time-sensitive emergency communications will be sent using Blackboard, the website may provide more detailed information.
District and School Main Phone Numbers
In the event of an emergency, the District/School will update the main phone number greeting to provide emergency-related information. At the end of the phone greeting, should the caller require more information, the caller can request to join a call queue and attempt to reach a live person. Please keep in mind that the individuals assigned to the call queue may not have all the information and will likely rely on the same information disseminated through the Blackboard system.
- District Main Phone (626) 299-7000
- San Marino High School Main Phone (626) 299-7020
- Huntington Middle School Main Phone (626) 299-7060
- Carver Elementary School Main Phone (626) 299-7080
- Valentine Elementary School Main Phone (626) 299-7090
Constant Contact E-Newsletters
In the event of an emergency, the District and/or affected School locations will provide emergency information and/or press releases. Constant Contact is NOT the District or School's primary emergency communication tool. Parents and students are strongly advised to check their text messages, phone, and email that come through the Blackboard Mass Notification System.
In the event of an emergency, the District and/or affected School locations may provide information regarding an emergency when information becomes available.
All parents, students, and community members are encouraged to follow SMUSD's social media channels: